The scolymia coral is not very difficult to care for, as long as you provide it with the right conditions. Here are some tips to help you keep your scoly happy and healthy:
- Lighting: The scolymia coral prefers moderate lighting, as too much light can cause tissue damage or bleaching. Place it in a shaded area or lower in the tank to avoid direct exposure to intense light sources. The ideal light intensity for scolymia is between 80 and 120 PAR.
- Water Flow: The scolymia coral likes moderate water flow, which helps it expand fully and stay clean of debris and detritus. Avoid placing it in areas with strong or direct water currents, as this can harm its delicate tissues or prevent it from feeding properly.
- Water Parameters: The scolymia coral requires stable water conditions with optimal pH, temperature, salinity, and calcium levels. Maintain a pH range of 8.1-8.4, a temperature range of 75-80°F (24-27°C), a salinity range of 1.023-1.025 sg, and a calcium level of 400-450 ppm. Perform regular water changes and test your water parameters frequently to ensure a healthy environment for your coral.
- Feeding: The scolymia coral is a photosynthetic coral that relies on symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae for most of its nutrition. However, it will also benefit from supplemental feeding of small meaty foods, such as mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or specialized coral food. Feed your coral once or twice a week during nighttime, when its tentacles are extended and ready to capture food. You can also supplement its diet with phytoplankton or other liquid coral foods, which will enhance its color and growth.
- Aggression: The scolymia coral is moderately aggressive and can extend its sweeper tentacles to sting nearby corals. Make sure to provide enough space between your scolymia coral and other corals, especially other LPS corals, to avoid competition and damage. A minimum of 4 inches of space is recommended, but you should always monitor your coral’s behavior and adjust accordingly.
The scolymia coral is a stunning and diverse coral that will add a touch of charm and elegance to your reef tank. With proper care and attention, you can enjoy this coral for years to come. Order yours today and get ready to be amazed by its colors and shapes.